Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Journey to Rio de Janiero

I´m in Rio de Janeiro! That famous city! So the trip to Rio was some what of an ordeal. As you know I am visiting several cities before I leave Brazil so after Salvador my next stop is Rio. I am all by myself, which is not a problem I am used to that. The problem is the fact that I have all my earthly belongings with me. Unlike the previous travel arrangement, I am going to Rio by way of plane. It should be faster and easier right? Or so we would think.

When I arrived to Salvador, I left my suitcase in storage at the bus station and just took my knapsack with me to the hotel. So, I returned to the bus station around 3pm in the evening even though my flight was at 11pm because I was hoping to find someone who would split the cost of the taxi to the airport with me. The taxi fare was almost two times the cost of a night in a hostel in Salvador so you just imagine how expensive.

While waiting, I made rounds at the bus station to see if I could spot people who look like they were going to the airport and I also asked the taxi desk to ask people going to the airport too. I waited at the bus station for around 6 hours with no luck. I was a little disappointed as a you can expect because the little money I have to spend was getting even smaller.

Anyways, as I got to the airport I had another potential problem, my luggage. Flying to Rio from Salvador is flying domestic and here I had all my belongings in a large suitcase which I was sure was more than the 23 kilos limit. The line for check-in was short so I was attended right away. I went to the counter, gave the attendant my passport and put my suitcase on the scale thingy. It weighed 38 kilos. That is 15 kilos over 23 lbs over the weigh limit. I kept my mouth shut and the guys started asking me about Jamaica and I asked about the flight.

I noticed he didn't say anything about the weigh of the bags. He went ahead to print my boarding pass and my baggage claim sticker. He handed me the document and then said, "Your bag is over the limit but I took care of it, because you are the first Jamaican I have ever met." At that moment, I was so proud to be Jamaican. Jamaican culture is idolized in Bahia so I guess being Jamaican there had it´s perks.

I got the flight to Rio as a present so I really shouldn't complain about horrible the flight times were. I left Salvador at 11:40pm and arrived in São Paulo (SP) at 2:40 am and had a lay over for around 3 1/2 hrs. My next flight was scheduled for 6am. During the flight to SP I slept for around 1 1/2 hr because I lost an hr in the time difference. During my layover I also didn't have much of an opportunity to sleep because the chairs were so uncomfortable. Then I finally got to Rio 7am tired.

So, one of my friends has a friend who has a friend in Rio and she decided to let me stay in her house. That means no money for hostel and at least one meal free a day! Talk about a blessing. So this friends who is now my friend picked me up from the airport and we went to her house.

As we drove around the city, I almost instantly feel in love with Rio. The city has some much more culture and history. I could wait to explore and the best thing too was that I was staying with someone from Rio who know the city and could show me around. We got to her house around 8, I took a shower, ate breakfast and then was ready to explore because I was only going to spend a weekend.

I will tell you about my adventures stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment