Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am Living in a Hospital!

I'm really living in a hospital! Check out my room! Here I am testing out my bed. I also have a ready supply of extra oxygen above my bed if ever I need it. Cool uh?
{}

{}


As you can see, I am not sick. Anyways let me explain why I am living in a hospital.

Here goes....


I have embarked on a new adventure here in Brazil. This new adventure is an answer to many prayers. Even though I loved being at IABC I was feeling bored and for a while unhappy. God answered my prayers right about the time I was at widst end. I am now going to be a traveling teacher. I will be traveling over the Central East Region of Brazil. This region includes the states of Goias, where I originally was, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul, Tocantins and the Federal District-Brasilia. I will spend a month at a time in the capital of each of these states . I am excited about this new adventure, because I will get to see more of Brazil. It’s also kind of sad to leave IABC because there has been home.



My first stop is Campo Grande in the state Mato Grosso do Sul (MS). Ok the translation of name of the state is funny. It is translated Thick Brush of the South, not to be confused the state Mato Grosso, which is translated thick bush. The funny thing about these names is that IABC is more of a mato or bush than where I am now.



Given that I will only be here for only a month, I was given a room in the Adventist Hospital of PĂȘnfigo in Campo Grande. When I first learnt I would be staying in a hospital for a month I was somewhat uncomfortable. But what could I do? The first night I was laying in bed and I was thinking to myself, “I wonder how many people died on this bed” and “Did the last person who was in this bed die?” Luckily, I was very tired because I was traveling all day so I went to bed soon after to stop my imagination from running away with me.



The next day I realized that it was not too bad being here. The hospital has a lot of acreage and has many different fruit trees so I get to walk around and explore. On my second day here, I found a june plum tree. This is a fruit that we also have in Jamaica. It is shaped like a large oblong egg and is usually yellowish-green. The seed is somewhat strange because it has sprickles so you have to be careful when you eating the meat of the fruit closest to the seed. We usually have them in the summer. I haven’t eaten a june plum in probably 4/5 years, so seeing a tree with almost ripe ones is a big treat for me. There is also a family atmosphere here because the hospital is surrounded with houses for staff. Many of the staff members have children, so children are always riding around on bicycles.


Another positive thing about being here is the fact that the hospital has the Health Living Spa. This spa is for people who want to improve their lifestyle. It has a gym, massage therapists, pool and other spa amenities and I get access to them, so I guess it not too bad to be staying in the hospital. I also get to eat at the spa which has great food, so I don’t have to eat hospital food. Overall I am happy to be here and the good thing about being in a hospital is that if I do get sick I can be treated in my own room. I start teaching in a few days so I will share more of my adventures and thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Positive thinking Graceeeey! If anything happens, you'll be right there =) You really are on an adventure...I think of you often and hope you remain safe. Blessings! Shar

    ReplyDelete
  2. greetings Grace Ann!! WOW what an experience to have lived in a hospital!! are you still living there currently? blessing with the teaching experience. how are things so far?
    have a blessed day. Vera

    ReplyDelete