Friday, July 17, 2009

Cuiaba, Mato Grosso


I finally arrived to my penultimate location, Cuiaba (cooyaba) located to the west of Brasilia in the state of Mato Grosso. As the most western state, it also borders Bolivia. Cuiaba is said to be one of the hottest cities in Brazil with temperatures get to as high as 48 C or 118 F. I was sort of dreading this place because of these record high temperatures but I couldn’t avoid it for too long. One positive thing about coming to Cuiaba is the fact that I actually know some people here. One of the first person’s I met when I came to Brazil moved here in October.


Regis, who was one of the persons to meet me at the airport when I just arrived to Brasilia, picked me up from the airport here in Cuiaba. I had dinner with his family the same night I arrived and was able to see his wife Adrianna, who was a good friend of mine while I was in IABC. For my birthday, Adrianna and another friend of mine at IABC, had made a cake for me. After dinner I was taken to lodging. I went back to living in a hotel. The hotel is ok but on the possible side it has a microwave oven. Yay! I can have microwave popcorn.


So over the weekend I had an opportunity to do a little exploring of the area where my hotel is. Cuiaba, so far of all the cities I have visited has the most Latin American feel. It has very narrow streets and the streets are mostly on a grade, very good for getting a workout. One noticeable thing about the city of Cuiaba is that it is one of the older cities of Brazil. I was told that this city is over a 100 years old. When it was created with the believe that there was a lot of gold in that area.


My hotel is located on one of the many hills of the city so I have a nice view of the city from my window of my room. I have only been here for only a few days so I have not been to the city center so in future blogs I will share more information on Cuiaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment