Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Trip to Walmart

When I lived in US, Wal-Mart, which I affectionately called Wally World, was one of my favorite stores. I could and would spend hours just walking around looking at and buying stuff. As a poor college student and later as a young adult just starting out, Wal-Mart’s prices were more convenient to my pocket. When I realized the chain of store was also here I was more that a little curious and excited to see how the stores here differed from those in the US. In the eight months I had been here, I had driven past several Wal-Mart stores in different cities but I never had the opportunity to venture into one to see how it was.

Finally, on second day in Brasilia I had the opportunity. I went with Gilza to buy groceries. From the outside I could have easily thought that I was entering an American Wal-Mart. The sign was the same and the store even has the same mascot, the yellow smiley face. The store I visited was a super Wal-Mart so it has groceries, cloth, electronic, books, cosmetics, a pharmacy, a hair stylist and many other things. I actually felt like I was in an American Wal-Mart. I was even surprised to see that the stores also have the local Wal-Mart brand, Equate.

There was one disappointment though. The store did not have as much of a variety as I had expected. I was hoping to find some more variety with food. Ok, I will admit that I was really looking for more American products. More specifically, I really wanted was salsa and chips. I was dying to have some Mexican food. They did not have any. Even though Wal-Mart is American, it really had a lot of local products. I think that is definitely a positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment