Sunday, April 19, 2009

Goodbye Mimoso

So I just finished one of the most amazing experiences of my life. For the longest time, I have wanted to go on a mission trip and God worked it out that I was able to be a part of one and to work with an awesome group of young people. The last night of the evangelistic meetings was also our last full day in Mimoso. It was a day full of activity but it was also a bitter sweet day for all us. For the past three and half weeks we all worked together and living together in a small living space as a family and in a matter of hours we would be going our separate ways. The students and the chaperons back to the US, me to Goiania and Flavio back to Sao Paulo.

Since it was a Sabbath, we went to church and as a group was in charge of the entire program. Sabbath was awesome, Elani, Gareth and I had our last Children Sabbath School Class and in Divine Hour we had the kids sing some of the English songs they had learnt for the church. They were so cute and the church loved it. After church we had a potluck at our home. Potluck was awesome. We were at first a little apprehensive about the food because not many of the members of the church were vegetarian much less vegan and most of the people in the group were vegan. To our surprise, most of the food was vegetarian and there was more than enough food options for the vegans in the group. Even more surprising was the number of people show came to the potluck. The Mimoso Church is small with around 25/30 members. I think all the members were there. It was so awesome to interact with the church members in a more relaxed atmosphere.

As a group we wanted to show our appreciation to the church members who had been so friendly and kind. They welcomed us with open arms. We decided make them a cd of us singing some hymns and choruses we always sang in church. The church members were always asking us to sing songs in English so we figured it would great gift and that they would have something to remember us and they could also learn some English songs too. To be honest the singing was not so great but I also go by the philosophy that it was the thought that counted. We really didn't have much time to practice to perfect the cd but it was a gift given with a lot of love on our part.


We gave out the cds at the potluck and the church members were so happy to get them. Many people wanted cds for other family members and friends. After
we gave our gift, one of the largest families of the church also gave each of us a gift. Each of us received an embroidered face towel. The males had their names embroidered in the towel while the females had embroided flowers of different colors. The towels looked like they were professionally made and it showed that a lot of work went into each of the towels. It was such a nice gift. I really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the family. The potluck also gave us an opportunity to take pictures and to exchange contact information.

We ended the Sabbath with a baptismal service, after which had the last evangelistic program for adults and children. It was a bitter sweet moment for me with the children program. I know sometimes the children were difficult and sometimes didn't listen but I had gotten accostomed to seeing them each night and the hugs they give us each night. It was also difficult for us to tell the children that it was the last night and that me might never see each other again. We also had closing session for both programs in the church. The pastor of the church called all the members of the group on the platform and thanked us on behalf of the church. He then gave each of us a pair of Havaianas with the colors of the Brazilian flag. Havaianas are Brazilian flip flops. Everyone in Brazil owns at least one pair.


After we received our gifts, another member of the church came to the podium to also tell us thanks for the work we had done. When she started talking, she started crying and that openned what appeared to be a flood gate for tears in the church. After the service when we were saying our goodbyes, half of the church was crying, both adults and children. The reaction to us leaving was so unexpected. It made me stop and really think about what we had done in the last three and 1/2 weeks. I did not realize that the group had had such an impact on the church and the community.

I was and am so grateful to God for this opportunity to bring some joy and happiness, though for a short time to this church and community. I thought to myself, "Who am I, that God would allow me to be a part of this project?" God could have chosen anyone. I know for sure I am one of the least qualified because my Portuguese skills are poor. God however had a reason and I am grateful. Here, I was to influence the lives of the people in the community but in the process I was also touched by the people I was working with and for. The other members of the groups are dedicated and God-fearing people and it was a pleasure working with them and getting to know them. The people of the community were so open and willing to give, share, accept us and love us. The three and half weeks had been a time of personal and spiritual growth and I will forever be changed.





1 comment:

  1. Grace, this is truly a spectacular thing you are doing with your life. I pray you continue to let God guide your path. You can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete